Monday, March 26, 2012

Progress/ Upload / Activity Indicator - UpdateProgress Missing?

Hello all,

I am completely new to this forum altogether and hope that someone can help me out as I am trying to get into the Atlas/AJAX world. I am inexperienced in using the tools so far, however I have followed the instructions by installing the latest extensions and then the CTP in the hopes of getting an UpdateProgress control that I could use on my users site.

I am using a page that implements a fileupload control so that a user may upload pictures to out site. When the user triggers the upload of the picture I was hoping to have an UploadProgress show a simple animated gif until the process was complete. My issue is that I cannot seem to find any reference to the UpdateProgress control using this version of AJAX. Has this control been eliminated in the current version, or should I be looking for another method to implement what I am trying to accomplish?

Please, any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Hello

The UpdateProgress control is under development and will be placed in the first Release Candidate of AJAX.
However, you can still use the new one if you first install the normal version of AJAX (the one you already have normally) and secondly the CTP version of AJAX (which is under development)

This will create another template into your visual studio AJAX CTP enabled Website, which makes the link between a specific dll (Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll) and the controls (like UpdateProgress).

You can also add the links manually into your existing web.config:

The first 2 lines are for the "normal" AJAX functionally (like UpdatePanel etc). You only have to add lines 3 and 4 to your web.config. Afterwards you have to copy the dll Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll to your bin directory of your web application, and tada, there's your UpdateProgress control again! :-)

Gerrie

<pages>
<controls>
<addtagPrefix="asp"namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI"assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>
<addtagPrefix="asp"namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.Controls"assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>
<addtagPrefix="asp"namespace="Microsoft.Web.Preview.UI"assembly="Microsoft.Web.Preview"/>
<addtagPrefix="asp"namespace="Microsoft.Web.Preview.UI.Controls"assembly="Microsoft.Web.Preview"/>
</controls>


sweetCoffee,

Thanks so much for the reply! :) I am still a little confused as to which versions I should be installing. I uninstalled everything to start from scratch, then, found the April Atlas release and installed it, just to get the UpdateProgress working. It did. (Whoohoo!) I am still, however more interested in getting the latest release as you suggest, so I am assuming that I do the following:

1) Uninstall the April CTP

2) Reinstall the ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX v1.0 Beta

3) Reinstall the ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX CTP

4) Reinstall the AJAX Control Toolkit

Is this correct? Sorry to be sure a pain, but I have a short time in which to ramp up the ol’ knowledge base. As usual! ;)

Again, thank you.


Well, that procress seemed to work beautifully! Thank you again. Now on to more and more frustration ;)...but thats the fun stuff!

that was correct indeed :-)

have fun ! I'm also very frustrated now they have changed a lot of things.... it's for our good, but it needs a little adaption :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment