Wednesday, March 28, 2012

profileService with anything other than SQL

Let's say there is no SQL Server or SQL Express on the Web Server. How would one go about implementing the whole profile thing? You can supposedly use another source for a provider? Like an XML file or something like that. Has anyone sucessfully done this, or am I the only idiot trying this? I've been scowering Google for a few hours now and I'm no further along than I was 3 hours ago.

Profiles are part of the membership provider in the .net framework. What you need to do is write a custom membership provider.

Here's a good article on what your looking for

http://www.devx.com/asp/Article/29256

Here's my google search term

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Custom+Membership+Provider+%2B+ASP.net+2.0+%2B+XML


Thanks, but I've decided to go in another direction. I'm going to use cookies instead. They're just easier to use.

As advice, cookies are a dated way to handle things likes that, and you probably should look into newer methods.

What happens, if a user has created a profile, with information about theselves, or the way they like to use your website, and then they log on from a different computer...or clear their cookies?

I understand having to remember all my passwords for every site I visit, after I clear my cookies, but if that website lost all my settings, and personal / profile information just because I cleared my cookies, I'd be pissed.


Well then I would be forced to direct them top a web page picturing a straw, and suggest they suck it up. Mind you I'm not telling you to do that, I'm just suggesting one course of action with comedic twist.

Thanks for your input anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment